Sunday, August 27, 2006

Wanna Get Pissed off?

Maybe you have seen that vintage footage of that 'Do they know it's Christmas?' video that is REALLY old and makes you wonder who the heck half of those people are. Maybe you caught some of what Bono and Bob Geldof have been going on and on about. Defiinitely you have seen Brad Pitt sporting the new white wristband for ONE. They're all talking about something called the MDGs or the Millennium Development Goals. I first heard about them from a group of people who figured I surely MUST know what they were - "After all, Nancy - you did LIVE in Africa." Sure I lived in Africa, but the people there probably didn't know what an MDG was either - they just lived it everyday and they didn't have a fancy acronym for it. So, I did a little research, a few googles, and found out that they are a very involved set of 8 goals that the world plans to reach by 2015. These are some pretty hefty goals at that - halving the rate of hunger and poverty, stopping the death of millions of people from the biggies of AIDS, malaria, and TB, saving kids from early deaths, getting the environment healthy, making sure every kid gets an education, and oh yeah - making sure all nations work together to do all this and more. The more I read, the more I was sucked in by it all. The more I really liked Bono and the more I felt really pissed off. I mean - come on - half of this stuff is a no-brainer but we can't seem to get it straight and help these people. So, I have taken it upon myself to bring you MDG enlightenment and help you get really pissed off too. You might think that you've got enough to be plenty pissed off about already, thank you very much. But this stuff - oh, and I love this - provides a positive outlet for your new pissed off-edness. Being ticked off at my mother doesn't really help anyone, much less my complaining about her to my best friend. But being ticked off about the state of healthcare in developing countries and letting people know that you're ticked off might actually help. If you tell enough people about it and get others pissed off in return about the MDGs, someone from the US with the money and resources may get pissed off enough to help out one of those poor developing countries by maybe providing immunizations in a town or village. Then that rich American feels so good about all those people that he saved by giving free immunizations, that he tells his golf partner about it and the golf buddy funds immunizations for the next two villages. See how that works? And those kids who are alive because they dídn't die from diphtheria have you to thank. So come on, get really pissed off with me as we head towards MDG enlightenment. We've only got 9 more years to go...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A very enlightening insight into nowadays world problems nowadays. The style reminds me the play by John Osborn "Turn back in anger". The author is a revolutionary because his very tone can make people listen. Quite catching attention! So, go on this way. Success!