Wednesday, February 13, 2008

IDEA Presents Guest Blogs From the Fall Global Debates!

Green Is In the House
By Amanda Robert, Princeton High School, Princeton, Texas

Today I did something new. Something revolutionary. At least, revolutionary in my household. I started a change, slowly easing my family into it. First, I started with convincing them that purified water was better than spending all that money on water bottles. My parents seemed to agree as they went out that day to buy a water filter for our faucet.

Then, I worked them into buying more environmentally friendly house products. Started them off easy with new light bulbs, buying recycled goods (as well as recycling our own things), and different cleaning products than we usually get. They learned the joys of products from companies like Clean Environment Co. and were behind the 'going green' project I had started. But today was different. I was still fighting the battle in my home for things to be cleaner and better for the environment, but in a more drastic way. Our family rents their cars instead of buying them, so every few years they go out and pick some new ones. I'm sad to say that in the past we haven't had the cleanest cars around, but I convinced them to try something different this time around.

My parents decided, with some prodding, that looking into hybrid cars for this run would be worth it. I was surprised that it didn't take much to convince them (probably because they were renting it instead of buying), but they tend to tell their friends about things they like. So, if the new hybrid cars go over well, they might convince a few more people to give them a try. Here's to hoping to seeing more environmentally friendly cars out on the roads!

No comments: