The International Debate Education Association (IDEA) is currently recruiting for new debate trainers with the Korea Poly School (KPS) in South Korea and a new campus in Vietnam. KPS is seeking Canadian or U.S. citizens to teach debate to elementary and/or middle school students for at least one academic year.
Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree and be willing to work in Korea for one academic year. The ideal candidate will also be comfortable working in an international educational environment and will have some experience doing so. Click here to learn more about KPS.
While IDEA is assisting KPS in recruiting trainers, as well as providing technical support to them, the instructors will be KPS employees. IDEA will, however, provide pre-departure orientation as well as teaching and curriculum materials.
The debate instructor shall perform the following duties:
1. Plan and conduct debate and argumentation classes in levels assigned by employer;
2. Conduct a small number of classes in subjects outside of debate with provided teaching materials;
3. Assist with and participate in activities related to the instructional programs of employer, including, but not limited to, departmental meetings, general faculty meetings, and special presentations and events;
4. Assist employer in organizing debate clubs at KPS schools;
5. Assist employer in facilitating KPS debate events;
6. Assist employer with out-of-classroom activities related to the regular curriculum of employer, including, but not limited to, field trips and school-wide assemblies, as well as other extracurricular activities;
7. Assist with the development of teaching materials, supplementary materials, tests, evaluations, and other programs related to English language teaching;
8. Assist or conduct teacher training in debate for new DIs under the direction of employer;
9. Assist, monitor, and supervise DIs in their teaching methodology and implementation, and classroom conduct under the direction of employer; and
10. Perform other duties as designated by employer.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation and benefits are yet to be determined but will be similar to the debate instructor position in Korea, which are outlined below:
1. Free furnished single housing (rent is paid for, but utilities and maintenance fees will be the trainers' responsibilities);
2. Free roundtrip airfare;
3. Contract completion bonus (severance pay) after one year;
4. 50% of national health insurance paid for by the school;
5. 50% of national pension premiums paid for by the school (they will also be eligible to petition for their pension refund from the Korean pension board before departing the country);
6. Monthly salary - 3.1 million Korean Won (roughly 3,000 US Dollars).
Applications should include a current CV, a cover letter, and the contact information of two references. Please send your application to Lin Lu, firstname.lastname@example.org, immediately. We will accept applications until the position is filled. Selection is dependent on applicant's ability to qualify for a Vietnamese-issued work visa.