IDEA is currently recruiting for a new debate trainer position in South Korea with the Korea Poly School (KPS). KPS is seeking Canadian or US citizens to teach debate to elementary and/or middle school students for at least one academic year at one of four campuses. You can learn more about KPS here.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree and be willing to work in Korea for one academic year. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in an international educational environment and will have some experience doing so. Candidates must be ready to leave for Korea in mid-August 2010.
While IDEA is assisting KPS in recruiting trainers, as well as providing technical support to them, the instructors will be KPS employees. IDEA will, however, provide a pre-departure orientation as well as teaching and curriculum materials.
Debate Instructor Duties:
1. Plan and conduct debate and argumentation classes in levels assigned
2. Conduct a small number of classes in subjects outside of debate with provided teaching materials
3. Assist with and participate in activities related to the instructional programs including, but not limited to, departmental meetings, general faculty meetings, and special presentations and events
4. Assist in organizing debate clubs at KPS schools
5. Assist in facilitating KPS debate events
6. Assist with out-of-classroom activities related to the regular curriculum of employer, including, but not limited to, field trips and school-wide assemblies, as well as other extracurricular activities
7. Assist with the development of teaching materials, supplementary materials, tests, evaluations, and other programs related to English language teaching
8. Assist or conduct teacher training in debate for new DIs under the direction of employer;
9. Assist, monitor, and supervise DIs in their teaching methodology and implementation, and classroom conduct under the direction of employer
10. Perform other duties as designated by employer
Compensation and Benefits:
1. Free furnished single housing (rent is paid for, but utilities and maintenance fees will be the trainers' responsibilities)
2. Free roundtrip airfare
3. Contract completion bonus (severance pay) after one year
4. 50% of national health insurance paid for by the school
5. 50% of national pension premiums paid for by the school (They will also be eligible to petition for their pension refund from the Korean pension board before departing the country)
6. Monthly Salary - 3.1 million Korean Won (roughly $3,000)
Applications should include a current CV, a cover letter, and the contact information of two references. Please send applications to Lin Lu, firstname.lastname@example.org. The application deadline for this position is May 10, 2010. Selection is dependent on applicant's ability to qualify for Korean-issued work visa.